@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Guest Review: Imaginary Jesus


My awesome friend Julia (who lives too far away and we don't get to gab enough) swiped my copy of Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos (well maybe I gave it to her) before I could read/review it. So I asked her if she would do it for me. She said yes. (THANKS JULIA!)

Take it away Julia ...

Imaginary Jesus is well represented by its book cover of a weird man wearing a Sharpie disguise. What is inside the cover is a tale of redemption disguised as strange encounters with imaginary imposters, talking donkeys, atheists, and invisible apostles. It is a familiar story that smacks of the truth that if you are not willing to run after God and be burned in a fire or squeezed in a labyrinth you can turn a short journey into one that takes decades. I’m not sure just how long it took Matt Mikalatos to find the real Jesus, but by taking us on his journey of revelation and whimsy we can learn from it and shorten our own time searching in the wilderness.

Better than books upon books of apologetics, this book gets right to the truth that Jesus weeps for our pain and is right there with us. Allowing the Holy Spirit in us to rest and trust that even our deepest hurts and most brazen injustices are all just part of life with Him, and it is good. Even when it feels devastating, it is good just because He is there. And as we face our own imaginary Jesus’, this book encourages us with many truths; two important one’s being that He is a God of joyous restoration, and that if Jesus had to choose a car it would indeed be a BMW, just like I always thought.

About the book:
Imaginary Jesus is an hilarious, fast-paced, not-quite-fictional story that’s unlike anything you’ve ever read before. When Matt Mikalatos realizes that his longtime buddy in the robe and sandals isn’t the real Jesus at all, but an imaginary one, he embarks on a mission to find the real thing. On his wild ride through time, space, and Portland, Oregon, he encounters hundreds of other Imaginary Jesuses determined to stand in his way (like Legalistic Jesus, Perpetually Angry Jesus, and Magic 8 Ball Jesus). But Matt won’t stop until he finds the real Jesus—and finally gets an answer to the question that’s haunted him for years. Be warned: Imaginary Jesus may bring you face-to-face with an imposter in your own life.

Download & Read a Sample Chapter

About Matt:
My name is Matt Mikalatos and I am a writer. I wrote the book "Imaginary Jesus". I had a spectacular time writing it and if you read it you will probably laugh so hard you will break all the furniture in your house. I suggest clearing all the furniture out of one room and making it your "reading Matt's book" room. In this way you will save a lot of money on furniture and still be able to enjoy the pure, distilled hilarity of my book.

1 comment:

  1. Julia and Amy Anne--

    Thanks so much for posting this review! Julia, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I really enjoyed writing it.

    You might consider entering the contest at http://myimaginaryjesus.com. The winner gets a trip to Portland to hang out with me and also an iPod, a Kindle and a bunch of book money for a local bookstore here!

    Thanks again!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete