I realize that is quite a statement! But, wow...These are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !
I actually modified this recipe a bit...I made the gluten-free version (directions under recipe) and made cupcakes instead of the cake.
by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
from The Silver Palate Cookbook: 25th Anniversary Edition
Makes 10 to 12 portion
E-mail to a friend
In the beginning, Sheila's mother drove her famous carrot cakes down to Manhattan daily from her Connecticut kitchen. The cake became a Silver Palate classic; it may now become yours as well.
For the cake
Butter, for greasing the pan
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 1/3 cups puréed cooked carrots
3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional
Make the cake1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the walnuts, coconut, carrots, and pineapple.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Set on the center rack of the oven and bake until the edges have pulled away from the sides and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes.
4. Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill and frost the cake with the Cream Cheese Frosting.
Make the frosting
1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly sift in the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until fully incorporated. The mixture should be free of lumps.
3. Stir in the vanilla, and lemon juice if desired.
To make cupcakes make as directed and bake for only 20-25 minutes. Half the frosting recipe.
To make these gluten-free, substite as follows:
~3 cups flour for 3 cups gluten-free flour mix and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (as a binder)
~add one egg white to the four eggs