@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I love Thanksgiving...

Are you tired of reading every one's Thanksgiving posts yet? Too bad...because I found this great information on the first Thanksgiving at A Readable Feast! I know that you all are dying to know what they really ate that first year. Right?

Here is what historians at History.com think might have been on the menu:
~~Seafood: cod, eel, clams, lobster

~~Wild Fowl: wild turkey, goose, duck, crane, swan, partridge, eagles

~~Meat: venison, seal

~~Grain: wheat flour, Indian corn

~~Vegetables: pumpkin, peas, beans, onions, lettuce, radishes, carrots

~~Fruit: plums, grapes


And here are some foods that were NOT on the menu (pretty much everything that will grace my table!):

~~Ham: There is no evidence that the colonists had butchered their pigs though they had brought such animals with them from England.

~~Sweet Potatoes/Potatoes: These were not common.

~~Corn on the Cob: Corn was kept dried out at this time of year.

~~Cranberry Sauce: The colonists had cranberries but no sugar.

~~Pumpkin Pie: Hard to make without sugar, plus the recipe didn't exist at this time. However, the pilgrims had recipes for stewed pumpkin.

~~Chicken/Eggs: We know that the colonists brought hens with them from England, but it's unknown how many they had left at this point or whether the hens were still laying.

~~Milk: No cows had been aboard the Mayflower, though it's possible that the colonists used goat milk to make cheese.

(Hmmm...I didn't see green bean casserole or frozen fruit salad on that list anywhere...weird.)


Well...I have to say that Thanksgiving is by far my favorite meal of the year! I am a comfort food junkie...this meal is the quintessential comfort-y meal!

So in honor of Thanksgiving and thankfulness (so much to be thankful for, Praise-Be-to-God!) I'm going to share my bestest best-friend-in-the-whole-wide-world, Loring's, recipe for Mabel's Ginger Cookies! I'm not sure who Mabel is, but here is Loring! Isn't she beautiful...(I wish I could find the photo of her that I've been saving to mortify her with, but lucky her...I can't find it!)


These yummy cookies make a great and unexpected gift for the holidays (I'm taking some to my mom on Thursday)...they are addictive and delish!

Mabel's Filled Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup butter room temp

1 cup sugar

cream together and add

1 egg

1/4 cup molasses

and mix.

Sift together 2 cups flour

1 tsp of baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon

1/2 tsp of salt

3/4 tsp ground cloves

3/4 fresh shredded/grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp dried)

Stir dry ingredients into wet until well mixed.

Roll into balls and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. They will bake into perfectly round circles.

Or you can also add 1/4 -1/2 cup more flour and roll out and cut into shapes.

Let them cool until next day. Store in ziploc overnight. They will be firm, but chewy.

Cream Cheese Filling

50z. cream cheese

1/2 stick butter

cream together and add

1/2 tsp vanilla

and then add

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.

Spread filling between two similarly shaped cookies.

Yum. Then you can eat them...or package them up all pretty in a box with ribbon. Or roll in parchment or wax paper and tie each end with some cool ribbon.

May your Thanksgiving be warm and filling!

Extend mercy and have patience! :)

1 comment:

  1. Mable was my great great grandmother's maid/cook. She has many fabulous recipes that our family uses still. I'm honored that you used it too! Wish I had been at your table this Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete