@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

@sprightlyamyanne Instagram photos

Monday, March 05, 2007

Just a quickie today...


Tomorrow my son is turning 10! And, I know it's cliche, but...it is so hard to believe!

After toying around with what to get him for his birthday, we decided to send him to camp! He'll be with other kids his age for a week in the San Juan Islands, rock climbing, sailing, hiking, kayaking, horseback riding and I don't know what all else. It's the same camp I went to as a kid, and I have to say, I wish I was going too!

However. He's not getting what he wants for his birthday from his dad and I. Will he survive? Will he be crushed, disappointed? He's asking for an ipod, cell phone and Xbox 360 games, but I just can't bring myself to fork over the big bucks for these things. 1. He is too young to really appreciate or use them enough to make the money spent make sense. 2. I'm tired of fostering the consumer/techie individuality that is so predominant in our culture.

At 10, he already owns everything age appropriate...yes, he's spoiled by his generous parents and grandparents. (Especially the grandparents). I have such a hard time when it comes to birthdays and Christmas because I know he doesn't need anything, and most of what he wants really draws him away from what he learns in church, the Bible and what we try to tell/show him. Life as a Christian can be such a contradiction.

On one hand, we have different priorities, we know what is truly important in this world--Christ and loving others, yet as part of a certain time and a culture we tend to get caught up in making sure we aren't left behind and that we are as cool, if not cooler, than everyone else. And, I'm always amazed to find myself caught up the world, and working my way back. :)

This is what I'd like to stop perpetuating with my son. Be in, not of! Fostering a sense of community, a love for others, and dependence on God is what I'd really like to buy him for his birthday!

Does anyone know where I can pick those up at? Preferably on sale?
No? Then I'll settle for camp.

1 comment:

  1. Swinging in for the Ultimate Blog Party. Nice to meet ya.

    I will be starting my 3rd party favor give away later tonight. Come on over when ya get a chance.

    PARTY ON!!!!

    ReplyDelete